Thursday, April 7, 2011

Getting Started Part 2: Pan Grease

I wanted to make a quick post about "pan grease."  I listed it my Getting Started Part 1 post, so this is a follow up so everyone knows what the heck I'm talking about!

When preparing your pans to bake, the “traditional” method is to grease with shortening or butter and then dust with flour to prevent sticking.  Some people add a layer of parchment paper on the bottom.  More conventional approaches are baking sprays such as Pam or Bakers Joy (with or with out flour in the spray).  Those methods work fairly well, but I have discovered the easiest way of all!  Pan Grease!  You can buy “Pan Release” or other pre-made pan greases, but it is so easy to make your own.

Ingredients
  • Shortening
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Flour

Directions
  1. Mix equal parts of the ingredients. 
  2. Store in airtight container until ready to use. 

That’s it!!  I apply it with a pastry brush, but you could use a paper towel, parchment paper, your hands… It stores virtually forever, so I make a bunch and always have it on hand.  Your cakes will turn right out of your pans nice and cleanly!

Happy Caking :)

4 comments:

  1. I've read this before. I'm going to try it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works wonderfully, you'll love it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tip! thanks. will try it as soon as my cake release gets finished

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, thanks for posting this

    ReplyDelete