Here is another of the cakes I did in September! I was excited to work on this one, I had designed a cake with diagonal pleats some time ago and never had the opportunity to make it. So, I was thrilled when my bride told me this was what she wanted!
I used a scribing tool to roughly mark out where I wanted the top line of the pleats to go. I added a little tylose powder to the fondant I used to make the strips with, to stiffen it up and make it easier to work with. Using my pasta attachment, I rolled strips of fondant to a #4. I trimmed the fabric strips to roughly 1.5 inches, it didn't need to be exact because the bottom edge would be covered with the pleat below. I moistened one side and folded the strip in half so the top edge was a nice rolled/finished edge and the bottom was the open seam. Starting from the top, overlapping my scribed line, I layered the pleats! When I got to the bottom border of the cake, I used an exacto blade to make everything nice and neat.
The brooches and topper were supplied by the bride. I love the sparkle they added to this otherwise "simple" looking design. It's hard to capture the sparkle of the "bling" in these photos!!