Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Balloon Cake!

Well, like I said in my last post... I've been a busy baker the past 2 weeks (busy for me at least!).

I made these cakes for a friend (who has great taste by the way), and she asked for this Balloon Cake for a joint party with her children and another child in their family.  The design was originally created by the talented Bree Meldrum of The Cake That Ate Paris cake boutique!

The original cake appears to be 10"-8"-6" rounds... this is my petite rendition- 8"-6"-4" rounds!
Let me tell you... 4" cakes are NOT easy to cover with fondant!  But I managed well enough and luckily because of the design I was able to cover the few imperfections with balloons!  The balloons were just approximately 1" circles I cut out of colored gumpaste/fondant mix and allowed to dry for a few days.  Then just stick them on the side of the cake starting at the top!
The original cake had adorable silhouettes painted on.  Not trusting my shaky hand to touch the clean fondant surface with black paint.... I opted to cut silhouettes out of black fondant!  It made for slightly bulkier figures and took a heck of a long time, but I think they came out pretty well!  At the request of my friend they all have Mickey Mouse ears, at least that is what they are intended to be, lol!

This design was so adorable and a lot of fun to work on.  I'm so glad to have had the chance to create this...  Thanks for looking!

Happy Caking :)

3 comments:

  1. Amazing job, as always! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi by the way I love ur work, it's beautiful I need to know what you used to cut out the silhouette . Was it free hand

    ReplyDelete